The Tar Heel Wrestling Club (THWC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, tax exempt organization with a mission of advancing, supporting, and continuing to raise the bar for wrestling at all levels. Led by head coach Kenny Monday (Olympic champion, World champion and NCAA Champion athlete), the THWC will support athletes on their path to competing for world and olympic championships.
THWC is a USA Wrestling chartered club and an official U.S. Olympic Regional Training Center site that operates in accordance with all NCAA, USA Wrestling, and U.W.W rules and regulations.
THWC will provide coaching and training opportunities for wrestlers of all ages, from youth all the way to senior level athletes.
Senior Level Athletes - (all bios in coaches page)
Tony Ramos - 57 kg
Josh Kindig - 61/65 kg
John Staudenmeyer - 74 kg
Braden Atwood - 97 kg
THWC Head Coach Kenny Monday's Accolades
- 3x All-American for Oklahoma State University
- 2nd at the NCAA championships in 1982 and 1983
- NCAA Champion in 1984
- 2x Big Eight Champion
- 4x U.S. Nationals champion
- Tblisi Champion
- First ever African-American wrestling Olympic Champion
- 1988 Olympic Champion Seoul, South Korea 163lbs
- 1989 World Champion 163lbs
- 1989 USA Wrestling Athlete of the Year and Amateur Wrestling Man of the Year
- 1992 Olympics at Barcelona 163lbs silver
- 3x Olympic Team Member 1988, 1992, 1996
- Inducted into National Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2001
- Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame in 2003
- Former Head Coach of Cowboy Wrestling Club